Bren-Proritschen, south of Pilsen
The Jewish settlement was here probably before 1623, but according to other roots the first Jews came here after the thirty years war. These Jews lived in several houses in the village and the Jewish road was built in 1680.
The original houses were rebuilded because they were damaged by fire and floods.
We can find some original buildings here e.g. the formal school ro butcher´s house, the unique house is Jewish house with its original black kitchen divided into two parts - for milk preparation and meat preparation.
The synagogue was standing until 1946 by the brook behind the Jewish house and the mikvas were situated there too. The archeological reserch should report this theory.
The number of Jews was continuesly increasing together with the meaning of the Jewish community. In 1825 they built a hospital for pilgrims here. Later the number of Jews was decreasing. Just before the World War II. there were 8 men and women, who were deported.
Only two women returned from the concentration camps who were later deporterted from the Czech republic. Interesting life story has Frantisek Ehrman and his wife, they survived the holocaust because Matej Homola hid them in his house in Nechanice for 2 and half years
The Jewish cemetery is situated on the hill on the edge of the village. It was recently reconstructed and there are several valuable old tombstones with rich sculptural decoration and some newer tombstones too.
The Jewish community was economicaly rich during the estate of St. Vitu´s capitol.
In 1865 the maches works were built here ( it was a branch of Pilsen works), established by the Jewish businessman Eckstein. After this works stopped manufacture , the maches works in Susice started to develop.
The oldest owners of the town and the fortress were members of the nobel family of Rozmital. They sold the property to the cloister in Kladruby in 1239. Later on the village had a private owner again. It is not clear when the town was promoted, it was probably during the 16th century. The coat-of-arms was founded in the same period.
During the thirty years war the town burnt down and it got it name Porici.
In 1749 the town was sold to the St. Vitu´s capitol and it established here dean´s office.
The old fortress was rebuilded into the castle in renesance style and later rebuilded again.
Recently during the reconstruction the original renesance ceiling was found there.
The castle is used by the Church college with ecological specialization. Every year they organize an ecological competition for highschool students. The main hall is used for lectures and there is also an exhibition of the local crafts.
The St. Nicolas church was built in the 14th century it was rebuilded during the Baroque. The dean´s office was also rebuilded at the end of the 18th century. You can find here two memorial boards remainding of Jindrich Simon Baar and the establishing of the third Readers group in Bohemia (1820).
Most of the original buldings was kept preserved and it has been renovated including the farm buildings along the road to Pilsen. Some of them were built in old country style.